About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, grandmother and great grandmother. I try to be creative - sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. I'm my own worst critic! I'm self taught in a lot of my crafts, but have taken quilting classes and most recently a beginner's rug hooking class. I enjoy both crafts tremendously. I'd like to learn to be a better gardener.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Mixed emotions

As most of you know - I retired from work this past Friday (August 2).  I was so excited and happy when I got up that morning.  Then on my way to work I remembered to turn on my personal cell phone and got the special ring that I had a message.  So I drove on into work thinking it was my sister calling to be the first to congratulate on retiring.  When I parked my car I listened to my message and it was her husband telling me that she had died at 1:30 Friday morning.  No explanation of why or what happened...    Even though I'd been expecting it as she had been having heart problems since she was 30 and in 2000 she had by-pass surgery that she just never completely bounced back from.  Over the past 3 weeks she was calling and telling me about the problems she was having and I was encouraging her to get to the doctor.  Well, apparently she passed out at home, her husband called 911, they took her to the hospital around 11:30 Thursday night and she died at 1:30 in the morning.  Her husband had opted to go home when they told him she still hadn't regain consciousness.  So we'll be heading down for a celebration of her life.  So...mixed emotions - I'm happy to be retired but sad that she's gone.  She was only 57 years old...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Char, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your sister was so young.This is so sad to loose your sister like that. I'm glad that she had you to give her encouragement when she needed it.
    Even though your retirement is bitter sweet, I want to congratulate you on finally retiring. I hope that you can take time for yourself now, to do the things you always wanted to do.

    Although I'll be 67 in November, I don't see retirement in the crystal ball. My husband is not ready to retire yet but I feel that I would love to retire and sleep in some mornings and travel to visit family once in a while.

    My deepest sympathy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, welcome to small quilt talk. I saw your post over there. I am so sorry about your sister, I hope soon you can have time to remember the happy times with her. You will enjoy the group the ladies are very nice and great quilters. Enjoy your new retirement! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete